[Ann] CintaNotes 1.7 Beta 1

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.7 Beta 1

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Alex, would you mind adding a primitiv method to print a single note? As an easy way of coding i suggest to limit the functionality inside the notes editor using Ctrl+P printing one single note only. Limit the functionality to the commercial version. Simply export to a temporary html-file and call ShellExecute('print',...). Thank you. Thomas

Thomas, I'll do my best, but I'm afraid there's already not enough time to put this in 1.7. The code that produces HTML is not easily reachable from the note editor and some refactoring would be needed. And I'm really vary of the "last-minute" features, they have caused me nothing but pain in the past).
But since this is quite simple to implement, I think it will be possible to get this into the next version - please remind me to do this. After Jul 15 I'll be on vacation (Germany/Italy :)) till August 20th, so unfortunately it is going to take a while.
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:38 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Thanks Chris, I agree that this is questionable behavior. However what would you do if this would be really what you intended?

I think we must imagine what most of the users out there would expect:

EXAMPLE:
tags: apple/software/ios
so I impute that most users would interpret that the note has something todo with ios
this also means (implied) that the note has something todo with software

BUT: if i delete the tag ios I also decide that it has no longer todo something with ios
AND this also means that I can no longer assume that it has something todo with software
(I just removed the foundation for this assumption!)

I have used not one single application that would behave in a different way!
But as far as I understood your feedback - we agree on this point (default = delete the whole hierarchy).

On the other hand, could you imagine an example where I want to delete the child but at the same time want to assign its parent to a note? (Maybe in case of a mistake?) And even though, I impute this would not be common!

More often I would like to change to a sibling like: task/open --> task/done
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Done. You can vote for it http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/116796-tag-tree-explorer/

Cool, thanks!) I've voted for this.
A couple of suggestions:
1) Maybe "Tag relations explorer" would be a better name? "Tag tree" is easily confused with current tag hierarchy.
2) The text describes the solution, but doesn't mention the problem.
3) Text is IMO quite long
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:46 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Yes, this is something I wanted to do long ago.. and forgot every time ;) This time around I won't forget!)
I could remind you ;)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:But I can change the tags field to always expand till the space on doubleclick! Wouldn't it be even better?
From my personal point of view I need to delete a whole tag much more often than I have to correct a single word which is part of a tag. So a multi double click would be a solution I could live with (but not my favorite one :roll: ).
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:57 pm

ChrisCN wrote:On the other hand, could you imagine an example where I want to delete the child but at the same time want to assign its parent to a note? (Maybe in case of a mistake?) And even though, I impute this would not be common!

Well say I have a tag 'todo' for tasks and 'todo/reply' for tasks involving writing a reply. When I reply, there still can remain something to be done, in this case I'd like to change the tag from 'todo/reply' to 'todo'.
But I agree that this is a synthetic example. In the 1.7 final the Add/Remove tag dialog will remove all tags from a given branch and not only leaves.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:03 pm

jaroet wrote:I noticed ... a lot of different subjects are discussed in this thread. Making different posts for those subjects might by handy to keep the overview (and the right forum offcourse ;) ;)

Let's just treat this topic as a kind of primordial broth that gives birth to ideas on the roadmap and bugtracker tickets ;)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:07 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:So i will be able to use Alt+Enter to call up the properties dialog in the list view *and* and inside the notes editor?

Yes.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:It would satisfy me, to simply remove the option at all. In general in the search-box, select first item, but accept only with ENTER. In the tags-field in the editor, select first item and accept the tag either using ENTER or SPACE.

Wow, that's a very interesting idea! Will anyone speak here in favor of keeping this option?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 pm

ChrisCN wrote:I could remind you ;)

Thanks but already there's no need to do that, it's firmly in the issue tracker now;)

ChrisCN wrote:From my personal point of view I need to delete a whole tag much more often than I have to correct a single word which is part of a tag. So a multi double click would be a solution I could live with (but not my favorite one :roll: ).

Multi double click - what's that?)
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:15 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Thomas, I'll do my best, but I'm afraid there's already not enough time to put this in 1.7. The code that produces HTML is not easily reachable from the note editor and some refactoring would be needed. And I'm really vary of the "last-minute" features, they have caused me nothing but pain in the past).
But since this is quite simple to implement, I think it will be possible to get this into the next version - please remind me to do this. After Jul 15 I'll be on vacation (Germany/Italy :)) till August 20th, so unfortunately it is going to take a while.

Thanx for considering pushing this up. I understand the problem. Though it looks trivial in the first place, there's often some other reason making it more complicated. Printing is getting more and more important in my every day usage of CintaNotes. Imo doing the export workaround trick, will deliver great printing results for a really cheap price. It is avoiding implementing an own printing engine, which can be a pain, considering hardware/driver issues. It will also strengthen the commercial version. Since you want to implement this with 1.8 (?) you might consider to also support printing in the list view.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:29 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:So i will be able to use Alt+Enter to call up the properties dialog in the list view *and* and inside the notes editor?
Yes.

Great! In that case i can happily accept the change :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Wow, that's a very interesting idea! Will anyone speak here in favor of keeping this option?

Not me.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Done. You can vote for it http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/116796-tag-tree-explorer/
Cool, thanks!) I've voted for this.
A couple of suggestions:
1) Maybe "Tag relations explorer" would be a better name? "Tag tree" is easily confused with current tag hierarchy.
2) The text describes the solution, but doesn't mention the problem.
3) Text is IMO quite long

Alex, i tried to edit the post, but it is no longer available for editing.
1. Ok, sounds fine with me. Can you change this please?
2. It would make the text even longer ;) Actually there is no problem, but more options to use cn. Ok, the reason behind this is, that i want to have a hierarchical view on the data, while at the same time assigning only "flat" tags. It is also important to me, to look at the data from different angles. For example i can look at "project-A" coming from "customer-A" or "projects" or "software", depending on what my current perspective is. Imo this is a feature no other outliner software supports, yet it is very powerful.
3. I agree. It's not easy though to express all the issues behind such an idea. I could cut the example and append it as a separate post. I could also remove the technical details (group-count...), since it is posted here, but as said, editing is no longer possible to me.
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:46 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Wow, that's a very interesting idea! Will anyone speak here in favor of keeping this option?
Wouldn't this be a problem in case you already have a tag like "window" and want to create a new tag "win"?

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Multi double click - what's that?
A name I have invented to sequently double click to expand the selection :?
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:24 pm

ChrisCN wrote:
Wouldn't this be a problem in case you already have a tag like "window" and want to create a new tag "win"?
Good catch, Chris. However, that issue actually exists with 1.6.2 already. In that case you need to press ESC. I never ran into this before. To me this seems acceptable.
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Good catch, Chris. However, that issue actually exists with 1.6.2 already. In that case you need to press ESC. I never ran into this before. To me this seems acceptable.

There are three things to consider:
1) This problem does not exist if you use the option to disable "acceptance via spacebar".
2) using tags that consist of more than one word (like "car.wash") makes this problem prominent
3) what if we get the already planned feature to be able to use spaces within tags?
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:01 pm

ChrisCN wrote:2) using tags that consist of more than one word (like "car.wash") makes this problem prominent

Why? I created such a tag and was able to accept it using SPACE.

ChrisCN wrote:3) what if we get the already planned feature to be able to use spaces within tags?

Not sure how this will be implemented. This is what i can think of. When creating or selecting such a tag you will have to use a surrounding char, e.g. ". In that case CN could distinguish tags that contain spaces and react appropriate.
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:42 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:2) using tags that consist of more than one word (like "car.wash") makes this problem prominent

Why? I created such a tag and was able to accept it using SPACE.

ChrisCN wrote:3) what if we get the already planned feature to be able to use spaces within tags?

Not sure how this will be implemented. This is what i can think of. When creating or selecting such a tag you will have to use a surrounding char, e.g. ". In that case CN could distinguish tags that contain spaces and react appropriate.

It results in the same problem in both cases. If you have created a note with the tags:
1) tag=car.wash
OR
3) tag="car wash"
And after that, you want to create a note with the new tag "car" or "wash" you can't use space (if you type car+space you get car.wash).
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:00 pm

ChrisCN wrote:It results in the same problem in both cases. If you have created a note with the tags:
1) tag=car.wash
OR
3) tag="car wash"
And after that, you want to create a note with the new tag "car" or "wash" you can't use space (if you type car+space you get car.wash).

Isn't that the same problem with your example "windows" and "win"? In that case you would need to press ESC, right? This would be fine with me. Though i understand this might not be acceptable for you. In that case we would still need the option "accept on space". This brings back my original suggestion. Always select the first item, which is true for the search-box and the tags-field. In the search-box to accept you need to press ENTER. In the tags-field tags would be accepted either using ENTER or SPACE. The latter only when "accept on space" is activated.
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:43 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Isn't that the same problem with your example "windows" and "win"? In that case you would need to press ESC, right? This would be fine with me. Though i understand this might not be acceptable for you. In that case we would still need the option "accept on space". This brings back my original suggestion. Always select the first item, which is true for the search-box and the tags-field. In the search-box to accept you need to press ENTER. In the tags-field tags would be accepted either using ENTER or SPACE. The latter only when "accept on space" is activated.
Exactly - I thought this discussion was about whether we can drop this option at all - and I tried to argue that we should keep it - sorry for beeing vague.
Thomas Lohrum wrote:It would satisfy me, to simply remove the option at all.
Wow, that's a very interesting idea! Will anyone speak here in favor of keeping this option?

Anyway - finally we agree ;)
danielson

Postby danielson » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Pardon my ignorance...
but how do we get the new tag view?
My tags just up beneath each other.
Albeit the ones with more than one tag are highlighted but still don't know how to "view" the new hierarchical format.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/64scwaaisn8bb ... 4%20AM.jpg

Hope you get some nice weather and rest for your holidays! ;)
jaroet

Postby jaroet » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:03 am

danielson wrote:...
but how do we get the new tag view?
My tags just up beneath each other.
Albeit the ones with more than one tag are highlighted but still don't know how to "view" the new hierarchical format.

You need to rename tags. For example : when you want Firefox to fall beneath Internet you have to rename FireFox to "Internet/Firefox" ...

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”