[Ann] CintaNotes 1.7.2 Beta 1 & 2

ChrisCN

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.7.2 Beta 1 & 2

Postby ChrisCN » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:48 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:BTW what would you expect to see? Since no notes are displayed no tags should be visible actually, but this is somehow also wrong.
I would suggest to:
- show only the tags ALL and UNTAGGED as those seem to be shown all the time
- I would display no tags but a text similar to "No tags found which match the current filter" instead of the tag list
- optional you could add a hint like "Display only related tags is active"
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:07 pm

ChrisCN wrote:I would suggest to:
- show only the tags ALL and UNTAGGED as those seem to be shown all the time
- I would display no tags but a text similar to "No tags found which match the current filter" instead of the tag list
- optional you could add a hint like "Display only related tags is active"

Good idea, thanks! Even better IMO would be a hint like "'Display Only Related Tags' mode is active. Click to see all tags.".
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:16 pm

sound good to me
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:39 am

some additional remark:
//those are no bugs - CN behaves correct - but it still may be confusing

If you are in 'Display only related tags' mode and you exclude tags from the filter (ALT+click) then this tags disappear. I am not sure if it wouldn't be better to always show the tags that are used for a filter.

If I right click on a tag to get the context menu it behaves like selecting this tag for filtering. This is not a bad idea except in the following situation:
If I have selected a tag to be excluded from the filter and want to switch into 'Display only related tags' this filter gets 'disabled' by the right click (and also using double click). So in this case (excluded tags) there is
no way to keep the current filter and switch to 'Display only related tags' mode.
A general solution would be to keep the filter as it is if you right click on a tag that is already used for the filter. A simple suggestion would be to add a hotkey to switch modes (but still would not solve the underlying problem). (This problem is not only related to the 'Display only related tags' but exists for every context menu action on tags used for a filter.)

I also understand that the 'Display only related tags' is still new and some kind of experimental.
But I really use it a lot and wanted to mention this possible improvements.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:45 am

Chris,
thanks a lot for your remarks!

ChrisCN wrote:If you are in 'Display only related tags' mode and you exclude tags from the filter (ALT+click) then this tags disappear. I am not sure if it wouldn't be better to always show the tags that are used for a filter.

This is indeed inconvenient. I reckon you are right, if we always show the filter tags (both included and excluded), we can actually get rid of two problems at once: this one and the one with "no matching tags found". And it's actually easier to implement, which is a nice bonus for me ;))

ChrisCN wrote:A general solution would be to keep the filter as it is if you right click on a tag that is already used for the filter.

This is actually a bug. Right-clicking on an excluded tag shouldn't make it included. I'll fix it, thanks!

ChrisCN wrote: A simple suggestion would be to add a hotkey to switch modes

I actually plan to add double-clicking on a tag relevance marker (the blue bar on the very left) as another shortcut for switching this mode. Also I want to stop resetting this mode when "All" is clicked. Hopefully these will be welcome improvements ;)
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:07 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:we can actually get rid of two problems at once: this one and the one with "no matching tags found". And it's actually easier to implement, which is a nice bonus for me ;))
You still have the situation (no solution) if you just enter a search string that does not exist - or am I missing something?

Other ideas sound great.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:04 pm

ChrisCN wrote:You still have the situation (no solution) if you just enter a search string that does not exist - or am I missing something?

Well even in this case I think it's still useful to display tags from current tag filter. After all, the user has given him/herself the trouble of selecting these tags for a reason. I don't think they should just disappear only because the current text filter has excluded notes with them. For me, it would be totally ok if they stayed no matter what, and what about you? :)
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:35 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Well even in this case I think it's still useful to display tags from current tag filter.
I fully agree - but I was thinking about a different situation:
The user has selected NO tags for the filter, but enters a search string that does not exist (and has 'Display only related tags' activated) -> what will you show in this case?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:36 am

ChrisCN wrote:The user has selected NO tags for the filter, but enters a search string that does not exist (and has 'Display only related tags' activated) -> what will you show in this case?

All tags will be displayed. Since no tags are selected, no tags can be considered "related".
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:44 am

sounds reasonable :)

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”