• Create note link: error on creating new note

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_1_Beta1_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_1_Beta1.zip
Alex
ChrisCN

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.1 Beta1

Postby ChrisCN » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:55 pm

After installation and first run I get a warning to upgrade the notebook file.
Is this intended? (Maybe a new structure - no way back ;-) ?)

thanks
chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:06 pm

ChrisCN wrote:After installation and first run I get a warning to upgrade the notebook file.
Is this intended? (Maybe a new structure - no way back ;-) ?)

thanks
chris

Yes, this is deliberate. Before, the upgrade was done silently and there was no way back.
Now a backup is created before updating, so that you'll have a snapshot of your data.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi Alex,

thanks for the latest release. This one looks like a nice one. :)

• "File/Backup/Backup Now" command
    I like it, nice. Actually i waited for this and am happy to have the feature now. Btw, the backup should also contain the settings-file.
  • The process of upgrading the database is good, but i need to get used to it.
  • The progress-bar for export/import actions is also a good enhancement. Strange though, it never runs to the end.
  • Recreating a database
    In cases when i want to rebuild my database, i use the existing settings-file and let CintaNotes create a new database. Thereafter i import my data from a xml-file. However sort-order and search-settings get lost. This is because, the database gets a new notebook-id assigned. This is probably done to register a new database. Since the xml-file contains the original id, i suggest to use it, in cases when the database is still empty. This way your settings would be preserved. Also cluttering of the settings-file can be avoided, because otherwise the old entries remain.
  • Recycle bin
    - Well done. I did some tests and they all looked very good. :D
    - The caption "Size" should be "Size in KB"
    - "Keep deleted notes for (days)". This is confusing. If the option is not checked, notes will never be removed from recycle bin automatically, right? When the option is checked they will be eventually deleted after 90 days (default),, right? Doesn't it make more sense to rename it to "Delete permanently after [xx] days?". Another alternative would be "[ ] Keep deleted notes for [xx] days, before deleting permanently"

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:46 pm

I noticed that at some point you introduced a specific context menu to the title field. :) Please add the same menu to the link-field. Thanks.
RichardTE

Postby RichardTE » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm running v.2.0.4.3 and SimpleNote synchronization seems
to be improved. Should I install v.2.1?

Planning to write back in a couple days to let you know
how SimpleNote is working. So far, no problems.

Richard
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:21 am

RichardTE wrote:I'm running v.2.0.4.3 and SimpleNote synchronization seems

v2.1 uses an improved interface for synching with simplenote. It is supposed to run more reliable and even faster. You might want to test it. Remember to always create backups, when running beta-software.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:40 am

I encountered a bug regarding recycle bin with unsaved notes.

Steps to reproduce:

• press Ctrl+Shift+F12 to create a new note
  • add some text to the title
  • do not save the note!
  • press Ctrl+Del to delete the note
  • confirm the deletion query
  • nothing happens
  • press Ctrl+Del again
  • confirm the deletion query
  • You should get the following error:
    SQLite Error 1:
    cannot start a transaction within a transaction

Workaround:

Save the note prior to deleting it.

Solution:

Maybe it is best to do an implicit delete before moving the note to recycle bin.

Thomas
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:10 pm

looking good to me. Nod
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:41 pm

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:04 pm

Thomas, sorry took me a while to get to this :)

[*]"File/Backup/Backup Now" command
I like it, nice. Actually i waited for this and am happy to have the feature now. Btw, the backup should also contain the settings-file

Could you please elaborate why you think the settings file should be backed up as well? I just can't see the reason for this.

The process of upgrading the database is good, but i need to get used to it.

Well at least it's creating a backup now :)

The progress-bar for export/import actions is also a good enhancement. Strange though, it never runs to the end.

Thanks for this observation. I confirm this for export, the import's progress bar does.

In cases when i want to rebuild my database, i use the existing settings-file and let CintaNotes create a new database. Thereafter i import my data from a xml-file. However sort-order and search-settings get lost. This is because, the database gets a new notebook-id assigned. This is probably done to register a new database. Since the xml-file contains the original id, i suggest to use it, in cases when the database is still empty. This way your settings would be preserved. Also cluttering of the settings-file can be avoided, because otherwise the old entries remain.

And how often do you rebuild your DB? Probably the best way would be to find and eliminate the reason for these rebuilds.
What you suggest can be implemented, but it will introduce a problem of two dbs having the same UID.

[*]Recycle bin
- Well done. I did some tests and they all looked very good. :D

Nice, thanks! :)

- The caption "Size" should be "Size in KB"

Duly noted.

- "Keep deleted notes for (days)". This is confusing. If the option is not checked, notes will never be removed from recycle bin automatically, right? When the option is checked they will be eventually deleted after 90 days (default),, right? Doesn't it make more sense to rename it to "Delete permanently after [xx] days?". Another alternative would be "[ ] Keep deleted notes for [xx] days, before deleting permanently"[/list]

I think the first option you suggest is better. However, I'd like to avoid phrasing where the edit box comes in the middle of the sentence - for translation purposes.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I noticed that at some point you introduced a specific context menu to the title field. :) Please add the same menu to the link-field. Thanks.

No problem! Really easy to do, so you can expect this in 2.1 final.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:07 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I encountered a bug regarding recycle bin with unsaved notes.

Thanks for the report. We've fixed this bug in Beta 2.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:08 pm

RichardTE wrote:I'm running v.2.0.4.3 and SimpleNote synchronization seems

Planning to write back in a couple days to let you know
how SimpleNote is working. So far, no problems.

Richard

Richard, yes, I think you should at least try it out.
No point to fix the old sync, because 2.1 will have the new one anyway.
Please let me know if there are any problems!
Thanks a lot.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:19 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Could you please elaborate why you think the settings file should be backed up as well? I just can't see the reason for this.

I have some individual settings, which makes the file unique and important to me. The settings file belongs to a certain version of the database file. They are a couple. Since i do a lot of testing for CN i often backup/restore my data. This is not what everybody else does. I can handle the job myself. No problem. Maybe someday when the settings can be stored inside the db itself, this question becomes meaningless anyway; check also here http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/90751-use-cintanotes-to-search-and-edit-its-own-settings/

CintaNotes Developer wrote:And how often do you rebuild your DB? Probably the best way would be to find and eliminate the reason for these rebuilds.

Well, after the latest reported crashes i did a couple of rebuilds to ensure data integrity. Another reason is to clean the database to run it more efficiently. This is probably a job only few people will do. In the meantime i found a workaround. Since the settings will be duplicated in the settings-file i can do a search & replace of the uid to activate my old settings. The newly unwanted settings need to be deleted. Prior to this workaround CintaNotes must be closed. No need for changes Alex. I can handle this.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:The caption "Size" should be "Size in KB"
Duly noted.

My teacher in fifth-class educated us to always name the unit of measurement. This is something that was burned in my flesh and can not be ignored. :D Thanks Mr. Fehrentz. :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I think the first option you suggest is better. However, I'd like to avoid phrasing where the edit box comes in the middle of the sentence - for translation purposes.

Me too, lets rename it to "Delete permanently after [xx] days". I understand the translation issue and will accept an easier solution. Still i checked other programs. For example Thunderbird also uses an extra caption after the edit field. This looks much cleaner.

I also suggest to activate this option by default. Otherwise recycle bin might grow forever, because many users won't know its even there, unless they look out for undelete the first time.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:43 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I have some individual settings, which makes the file unique and important to me. The settings file belongs to a certain version of the database file. They are a couple. Since i do a lot of testing for CN i often backup/restore my data. This is not what everybody else does. I can handle the job myself. No problem. Maybe someday when the settings can be stored inside the db itself, this question becomes meaningless anyway; check also here http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/90751-use-cintanotes-to-search-and-edit-its-own-settings/

Well we already have some settings which are stored in the .db file itself - e.g Simplenote login data and Recycle bin settings. Storing all settings in the .db file is certainly not the way to go: some settings only reflect the view (e.g. sorting), other make sense for CN instance itself (e.g. "Run minimized").

Well, after the latest reported crashes i did a couple of rebuilds to ensure data integrity. Another reason is to clean the database to run it more efficiently. This is probably a job only few people will do. In the meantime i found a workaround. Since the settings will be duplicated in the settings-file i can do a search & replace of the uid to activate my old settings. The newly unwanted settings need to be deleted. Prior to this workaround CintaNotes must be closed. No need for changes Alex. I can handle this.

Great!

My teacher in fifth-class educated us to always name the unit of measurement. This is something that was burned in my flesh and can not be ignored. :D Thanks Mr. Fehrentz. :)

You're lucky to have had good teachers)

Me too, lets rename it to "Delete permanently after [xx] days". I understand the translation issue and will accept an easier solution. Still i checked other programs. For example Thunderbird also uses an extra caption after the edit field. This looks much cleaner.

Agreed.

I also suggest to activate this option by default. Otherwise recycle bin might grow forever, because many users won't know its even there, unless they look out for undelete the first time.

I left it unchecked because when you delete more than 100 notes, some of your notes get lost forever, and you won't know about it.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:26 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I left it unchecked because when you delete more than 100 notes, some of your notes get lost forever, and you won't know about it.

Limiting to a number of items has its drawbacks, that's why i suggested to use "[X] Delete permanently after [xx] days" as the default. Until 2.1 we did not even have recycle bin. Keeping the items for 90 days default is a very good compromise, in that it avoids garbage flooding, whereas it keeps an unlimited number of items to that point.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:15 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Limiting to a number of items has its drawbacks, that's why i suggested to use "[X] Delete permanently after [xx] days" as the default. Until 2.1 we did not even have recycle bin. Keeping the items for 90 days default is a very good compromise, in that it avoids garbage flooding, whereas it keeps an unlimited number of items to that point.

Ok, you convinced me ;) In the 2.1 final, the "keep for 90 days" option will be activated by default.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”