[Ann] CintaNotes 1.7 Beta 1

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 1.7 Beta 1

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi everyone,

sorry this is later than predicted - but it is finally here!
The tag hierarchy and many more goodies!
Please check it out.

Jul 1, 2012 - Version 1.7 Beta1

In this version:

Features:
  • [Commercial] Tag hierarchy support.
  • Possibility to create tags not associated with notes.
  • Tag properties dialog.
  • Note properties dialog to edit note's timestamps.
  • "Check for Updates" command.
  • Automatic update check.

Enhancements:
  • New option: "Options/Startup/Restore last tag selection"
  • New option: "Options/Tags/Accept On/Single mouse click"
  • Tooltips for some commands
  • Toggling of tag count display in the Tag Sidebar's context menu
  • Compiled with support for SSE instructions

Fixes:
  • Pasting notes into other apps was not working under some circumstances
  • Exception when notebook path access was denied
  • HTML export didn't specify encoding with a byte order mark, which could lead some browsers to display the file with wrong encoding.
  • Editor: Ctrl+Left/Right selection ignored international characters like German umlauts
  • Wrong line breaking in text preview with Courier font
  • Editor: Title text got clipped on mouse hover (in XP)
  • Editor: Undo/redo for text formatting worked only when you pressed Ctrl+Z(Y) many times
  • Label controls flickered on window move
  • Editor: "something.xy" was recognized as a hyperlink regardless if .xy was a real top level domain
  • F11 shortcut was not displayed in File/Export menu item
  • Fixed wrong wrapping of East-Asian characters in the note preview
  • URLs were not saved when clipping from Opera 12 x64
  • Notes having only titles were lost on merging

Here is a license key (valid till July 8th) to test tag hierarchy with:
===CINTANOTES LICENSE===
CintaNotes 1.7 Beta Tester
HS39TX-MH6N29-GJVSF5-EEY5WK-QRAJ8B-3W37QL-E4CXEN-FCQCTL-4XBK5X-4TCK2S-H3DVLY

To all beta testers, huge thanks in advance!!

WARNING: MAKING BACKUP OF YOUR NOTEBOOK FILE BEFORE TRYING THIS VERSION
IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST! AFTER OPENING A NOTEBOOK IN THIS VERSION, 1.6.2 WON'T
OPEN THIS FILE ANYMORE.
Attachments
CintaNotes_1_7_Beta1.zip
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 2806 times
Alex
ChrisCN

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.7 Beta 1

Postby ChrisCN » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:07 pm

hooray - just got home
now I have the choice to watch the EM final or test the Beta (I will try to do both) :D

The first thing I noticed is that my tag '(/)status' got separated into a hierarchy - the character / got a special meaning.
Not a big problem for me - but maybe others have used the / more often within tags.

regards
chris
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi Alex,

i did a test with the 1.7 beta 1.

I noticed that i can activate the date-dialog by clicking on one of the dates. Is there a hotkey for the dialog? What is the source field?

I noticed that Options\Start with OS is not checked, though i always start cn automatically. I checked with 1.6.2 and noticed it's the same there.

Tags/Accept on/Spacebar is broken. I can no longer use the spacebar in the tags field. For this bug i uninstalled 1.7 and switched back to 1.6.2.

As for hierarchical tags i have no plan to use them right now. I did a test though and could not find a bug. Still i prefer flat tags. Grouping (existing) tags without hierarchy might be of more interest to me. For example i have three tags ios,iphone and ipad, which could be grouped. But even with this example i do not have an idea what title to apply to them.

kind regards,

Thomas
catiaok

Postby catiaok » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:29 am

Thanks, alex,
cintaNotes 1.7 Beta crash when I click in blank area of tag sidebar.
my system is : windows 7, 64bit

Frank
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:42 am

Hi Thomas

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Tags/Accept on/Spacebar is broken. I can no longer use the spacebar in the tags field. For this bug i uninstalled 1.7 and switched back to 1.6.2.
Thomas
Tried to reproduce it and it seems to me that the option works in the wrong inverse way - try to turn the option off and it should work. (Or maybe I didn't understand this option at all?)

Thomas Lohrum wrote:As for hierarchical tags i have no plan to use them right now. I did a test though and could not find a bug. Still i prefer flat tags. Grouping (existing) tags without hierarchy might be of more interest to me. For example i have three tags ios,iphone and ipad, which could be grouped. But even with this example i do not have an idea what title to apply to them.
What about "Apple" as a parent tag? --> apple/ios apple/iphone apple/ipad

As I have waited for this feature impatiently let me give you an example how I use this tags:
[TASK]
[TASK]/open [TASK]/waiting [TASK]/in.progress [TASK]/blocked
Sometimes I am interested in tasks (in general), sometimes I am interested in e.g. "blocked tasks".

But I think that there are definitely people out there that will have no use of hierarchical tags - I definitely have - but maybe you are one of them!
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:04 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote: [*]Notes having only titles were lost on merging[/list]
This is different to the problem that titles are lost when merging - correct? (because they still get lost).

One thing I noticed: the tag auto suggestion is not working if you change the search box option to 'title only'. But this is not a new bug and maybe it is not even a bug -> should I file a request on the roadmap?

Another feature I noticed missing is that it would be convenient to have the tag count of parents also show the number of notes that are associated with the parent tag ONLY. (If you have many children and some of the notes are only tagged with the parent tag this is an important information not easily to spot at the moment). -> I will post it on the roadmap!

So far the hierarchy feature looks very stable :D
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:52 am

I understand tag hierarchy can be useful for organizing related data in a parent/child relation. The feature is bound to creating/editing tags to the note. Last night i thought about another approach. Tags are entered each as a single unique tag, e.g. iphone, ios, smartphones. Now for viewing data i want cn to group by tags.

Example group by [Apple]
Apple/iOS
Apple/iPhone
Apple/iPad

Example group by [Smartphones]
Smartphones/iOS
Smartphones/Android
Smartphones/WindowsPhone

Example group by [iOS]
iOS/Apple
iOS/Smartphones

The feature is related for quering data. It might not be as fast as the usual listview. Thus it could be a separate "view" to the database. Before adding add a task on the roadmap, i would like to get your feedback. What do you think?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:52 am

ChrisCN wrote:The first thing I noticed is that my tag '(/)status' got separated into a hierarchy - the character / got a special meaning.
Not a big problem for me - but maybe others have used the / more often within tags.

If enough users will ask to have a choice which character should separate parent tags from child tags, I'll include this setting into cintanotes.settings. At the moment it is hardcoded to '/'. The only other options which make sense IMO are '\', ':', or '.'.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I noticed that i can activate the date-dialog by clicking on one of the dates. Is there a hotkey for the dialog? What is the source field?

Hi Thomas, no, there's no hotkey at the moment. The source field now contains the application process name where the note has been clipped from. Earlier it contained the copy of the window title. This field was hidden in the DB.
I'm not sure if this field is really necessary. I'll probably remove it in the final 1.7 version.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I noticed that Options\Start with OS is not checked, though i always start cn automatically. I checked with 1.6.2 and noticed it's the same there.

This option is sensitive to the path to cintanotes.exe, so that correct instance of CintaNotes gets run. Please tell me what is the value of your HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run/CintaNotes registry key?

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Tags/Accept on/Spacebar is broken. I can no longer use the spacebar in the tags field. For this bug i uninstalled 1.7 and switched back to 1.6.2.

I can't reproduce, could you tell what exactly is not working? Please note that in case of the "Accept on spacebar" option, the first suggestion item is not selected automatically (see here why: ). So you have to press Down to select the suggestion, and then press Space.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:As for hierarchical tags i have no plan to use them right now.

If you don't need this feature, than why have you voted for it?:) Or maybe you don't like current implementation? (I must say this is a feature that everyone sees differently and it is very hard to fit everyone's needs here).

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I did a test though and could not find a bug. Still i prefer flat tags. Grouping (existing) tags without hierarchy might be of more interest to me. For example i have three tags ios,iphone and ipad, which could be grouped. But even with this example i do not have an idea what title to apply to them.

I agree with Chris that "apple" seems to be a good parent tag name. Or simply like this: i/os, i/phone and i/pad ;).

catiaok wrote:cintaNotes 1.7 Beta crash when I click in blank area of tag sidebar.
my system is : windows 7, 64bit

I confirm, thanks a lot! Will be fixed in the next beta or final release.

ChrisCN wrote:This is different to the problem that titles are lost when merging - correct? (because they still get lost).

Yes. Current changes only affect notes that have no text, only title.
If Title would be included by default, there would be users who would say they don't need the title. So I decided to let it rest until the Merge Parameters dialog is implemented.

ChrisCN wrote:One thing I noticed: the tag auto suggestion is not working if you change the search box option to 'title only'. But this is not a new bug and maybe it is not even a bug -> should I file a request on the roadmap?

This is actually a feature) Tag suggestions are only useful in "anywhere" and "tags" search modes, and this is where they show up.

ChrisCN wrote:Another feature I noticed missing is that it would be convenient to have the tag count of parents also show the number of notes that are associated with the parent tag ONLY.

I agree that this would be useful, but it can create additional visual noise (and let's be honest, tag counts already have created some..) Could you suggest a way to display it seamlessly?

ChrisCN wrote:So far the hierarchy feature looks very stable

That's great, thanks )
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:07 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I understand tag hierarchy can be useful for organizing related data in a parent/child relation. The feature is bound to creating/editing tags to the note. Last night i thought about another approach. Tags are entered each as a single unique tag, e.g. iphone, ios, smartphones. Now for viewing data i want cn to group by tags.

The feature is related for quering data. It might not be as fast as the usual listview. Thus it could be a separate "view" to the database. Before adding add a task on the roadmap, i would like to get your feedback. What do you think?

I think this is covered by tag search. When you search for "ios", all notes with tags containing "ios" will be displayed.
Combine this with Saves searches feature, and you get what you need (and exactly how I like it - without introducing unnecessary new concepts ;)
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:22 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:If enough users will ask to have a choice which character should separate parent tags from child tags, I'll include this setting into cintanotes.settings. At the moment it is hardcoded to '/'. The only other options which make sense IMO are '\', ':', or '.'.
Of all those options I like '/' the best ;)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
I can't reproduce, could you tell what exactly is not working?
If you DISABLE this options you can activate a tag with the spacebar AND it is preselected!

ChrisCN wrote:One thing I noticed: the tag auto suggestion is not working if you change the search box option to 'title only'. But this is not a new bug and maybe it is not even a bug -> should I file a request on the roadmap?

This is actually a feature) Tag suggestions are only useful in "anywhere" and "tags" search modes, and this is where they show up.
understood! So after we get this feature: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/115 ... earch-box/ it would get useful.

ChrisCN wrote:Another feature I noticed missing is that it would be convenient to have the tag count of parents also show the number of notes that are associated with the parent tag ONLY.

I agree that this would be useful, but it can create additional visual noise (and let's be honest, tag counts already have created some..) Could you suggest a way to display it seamlessly?
My first idea would be an option: 'Show tag count for parents only for direct assigned notes' (which would be my favorite setting).
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:25 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hi Thomas, no, there's no hotkey at the moment. The source field now contains the application process name where the note has been clipped from. Earlier it contained the copy of the window title. This field was hidden in the DB.
I'm not sure if this field is really necessary. I'll probably remove it in the final 1.7 version.

A hotkey would be useful :) for quick editing without the use of the mouse, when you need to edit several notes, e.g. after importing data. Yes, hide the source-field. No need for it at the moment.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:This option is sensitive to the path to cintanotes.exe, so that correct instance of CintaNotes gets run. Please tell me what is the value of your HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run/CintaNotes registry key?

The value is:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\CintaNotes\CintaNotes.exe" -m
This is, where i have installed cn!

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I can't reproduce, could you tell what exactly is not working? Please note that in case of the "Accept on spacebar" option, the first suggestion item is not selected automatically (see here why: ). So you have to press Down to select the suggestion, and then press Space.

With v1.6.2 i can create a note, jump to the tags field, enter a single char, which will open a list of related tags. The first item is selected! I press "space" and the tag is chosen.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:If you don't need this feature, than why have you voted for it?:) Or maybe you don't like current implementation? (I must say this is a feature that everyone sees differently and it is very hard to fit everyone's needs here).

When i first used cn i loved it for its flat-approach. Enter anything and retrieve anything simply. I never liked other outliners which (forced) hierarchical creation of data. I have a need for related notes, but am thinking of a different approach to it. I need a "(project)heading" that can be assembled like a phrase (not like a tag). Beneath the heading i want to add notes, while at the same time tagging is retained in a flat list.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:27 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:The feature is related for quering data. It might not be as fast as the usual listview. Thus it could be a separate "view" to the database. Before adding add a task on the roadmap, i would like to get your feedback. What do you think?
Hmm, interesting. Should we start a separate topic for this idea?
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:32 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I think this is covered by tag search. When you search for "ios", all notes with tags containing "ios" will be displayed.
Combine this with Saves searches feature, and you get what you need (and exactly how I like it - without introducing unnecessary new concepts ;)

Not quite. What i meant is, that cn would represent the tag list in a hierarchical order, dynamically created. The result would be similar to what the tag list looks like with your new feature. But rather than making it up by definition, my suggestion is to create it dynamically when quering data.
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:34 am

ChrisCN wrote:If you DISABLE this options you can activate a tag with the spacebar AND it is preselected!
Just to clarify - I am talking about the "tag/accept/spacebar" within the search box!
jaroet

Postby jaroet » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:43 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:I think this is covered by tag search. When you search for "ios", all notes with tags containing "ios" will be displayed.

Not quite. What i meant is, that cn would represent the tag list in a hierarchical order, dynamically created. The result would be similar to what the tag list looks like with your new feature. But rather than making it up by definition, my suggestion is to create it dynamically when quering data.

Do you mean like WikidPad does? See http://wikidpad.sourceforge.net/help/In ... html#.h722 for an explanation...
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:46 am

ChrisCN wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:If you DISABLE this options you can activate a tag with the spacebar AND it is preselected!
Just to clarify - I am talking about the "tag/accept/spacebar" within the search box!

With v1.6.2 you can activate "options\tags\spacebar accepts suggestions". The behaviour is the same for the search-box and the tags field inside the notes-editor! Enter a char, the first item is selected. Press space and the item is chosen.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 am

ChrisCN wrote:Of all those options I like '/' the best ;)

Me too, but I wonder if there are people who'd prefer a different symbol?

I confirm that "accept on space" works even if it is not selected, what is a bug. Will be fixed, thanks!

ChrisCN wrote:understood! So after we get this feature: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/115 ... earch-box/ it would get useful.

Yes. (I hope I won't forget to enable tag suggestions everywhere ;) )

ChrisCN wrote:My first idea would be an option: 'Show tag count for parents only for direct assigned notes' (which would be my favorite setting).

I think you should be able to take a glance at the number and know immediately what it means. With this option, you'll have to remember what the current setting is, which is not good UI.
Here are some other options:
1) A tooltip
2) Alt+Double click command to include (select) tag and at the same time exclude (cross out) all child tags.
(Ctrl+Double click is already planned as command to select a tag and cross out ALL other tags).
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:55 am

jaroet wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:

Do you mean like WikidPad does? See http://wikidpad.sourceforge.net/help/In ... html#.h722 for an explanation...

I don't want to create hierarchical tags. I am looking for a way to have cn do that for me dynamically and temporarily only.

For example create a note with title "iPad 3" and the tags "Apple iOS iPad Tablets". Now when i want cn to group by [Apple] i want the tag-sidebar to display:
Apple/iPad
Apple/iOS
Apple/Tablets

When i want to group by [Tablets] i want the tag-sidebar to display:
Tablets/Apple
Tablets/iOS
Tablets/iPad
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:12 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:2) Alt+Double click command to include (select) tag and at the same time exclude (cross out) all child tags.
Wow - what a cool suggestion - I want this feature 8-)
The only thing I still would be missing is a visual clue that such an Alt+Double-click would make sense for this tag.
>> Maybe we could show the tag count number in italic as a visual clue that there are notes directly assigned to this tag?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:16 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:A hotkey would be useful :) for quick editing without the use of the mouse, when you need to edit several notes, e.g. after importing data. Yes, hide the source-field. No need for it at the moment.

Ok, how about Alt+Enter? This seems to be the standard shortcut for the Properties dialog.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:The value is:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\CintaNotes\CintaNotes.exe" -m
This is, where i have installed cn!

And, is it wrong? which CN instance is really run on startup? Which instance has this option checked?

Thomas Lohrum wrote:With v1.6.2 i can create a note, jump to the tags field, enter a single char, which will open a list of related tags. The first item is selected! I press "space" and the tag is chosen.

Yes. So you're saying that the autoselection of the first item is crucial for you in this case?
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”