Monospace font usage

Thomas Lohrum

Monospace font usage

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi Alex,

i use a monospace font (Courier New) in general for all my notes; see options/notes list/text font. Since CN's editor offers true RTF functionality lately i want to switch to some non-monospace font. However, if i change the font in the notes list configuration all my saved notes will now appear with that font. This is in most cases not suitable to me, because i formatted those notes using a space layout. Imo CN should have recognized and marked notes as monospace, when a monospace font was used. Well, it didn't. I could change to non-monospace and edit old notes to explicitly use monospace. But that's quite a job for more than 1200 notes.

What do you think is best to do?

Thank you!

Thomas

Btw, the only way to change the monospace font for the editor is changing it in the settingsfile (editor.fonts.monospace), right?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Monospace font usage

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:18 am

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Lohrum wrote:i use a monospace font (Courier New) in general for all my notes; see options/notes list/text font. Since CN's editor offers true RTF functionality lately i want to switch to some non-monospace font. However, if i change the font in the notes list configuration all my saved notes will now appear with that font. This is in most cases not suitable to me, because i formatted those notes using a space layout. Imo CN should have recognized and marked notes as monospace, when a monospace font was used. Well, it didn't. I could change to non-monospace and edit old notes to explicitly use monospace. But that's quite a job for more than 1200 notes.

I think the easiest solution for you would be to export your DB to XML and wrap contents of each
CDATA section into a pair of <pre> tags.
Just do a search/replace:
<![CDATA[ => <![CDATA[<pre>
]]> => </pre>]]>

After that import this XML into a new DB, e voila, all notes are marked as monospace;)
Please let me know if this worked for you.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:13 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I think the easiest solution for you would be to export your DB to XML and wrap contents of each CDATA section into a pair of <pre> tags.
Just do a search/replace:
<![CDATA[ => <![CDATA[<pre>
]]> => </pre>]]>
After that import this XML into a new DB, e voila, all notes are marked as monospace;)
Please let me know if this worked for you.

I knew you would come up with such an idea :) However the trick fails on many of my notes. I looked at the exported XML-data and noticed, that the affected notes all have a property of plainText="1".

What causes this entry?
How can i get rid off it?
How can i convert those notes?

Thank's for your help!

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Monospace font configuration

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:18 am

In my settings file the default font is configured as:
app.mainframe.notetextfont = Courier New;10;400;0
The font can be changed with CN's GUI.

As for the monospace font in the editor there is no gui setting, only the settings file:
editor.fonts.monospace = Courier New

What is the size of the editor-fonts?
How can i change the size?
What are the values 400 and 0 in the mainframe setting?

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:33 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:What causes this entry?
How can i get rid off it?
How can i convert those notes?

CN sets this flag on notes which don't contain any formatting.
You can get rid of it simply mass-replacing [plainText="1"] with [plainText="0"].
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Monospace font configuration

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:What is the size of the editor-fonts?
How can i change the size?[/quote
Only the face of the monospace font can be set, the size is fixed to be the same as the size of the text font.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:What are the values 400 and 0 in the mainframe setting?

This value is not meant to be edited manually, since you can edit it in the GUI.
But just for reference, 400 is the value of font weight, set here for more info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx. And 0 is the italics flag.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:41 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:This value is not meant to be edited manually, since you can edit it in the GUI.

I don't think so. There is no setting in the gui to edit the monospace font of the notes editor. Only the font of the notes list can be changed in the gui.

What is the size of the monospace font (editor.fonts.monospace)?
Can i change that size?

Thank's.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:55 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I don't think so. There is no setting in the gui to edit the monospace font of the notes editor. Only the font of the notes list can be changed in the gui.
What is the size of the monospace font (editor.fonts.monospace)?
Can i change that size?

What made you think that these two parameters had the same format?
The editor.font.monospace parameter is font name only. To change its size, change the size of the note text font.
At the moment the size of the monospace font can't be changed independently.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”