[Ann] CintaNotes 2.0.2 Beta 1

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 2.0.2 Beta 1

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:15 am

As promised, here is the new beta!
Almost all big problems already fixed here, with the exception of the problem with remembering
sorting and search parameters for each notebook - this will be in Beta 2 next week.

Enjoy!

Jan 11, 2013 - Version 2.0.2 Beta1

In this version:

Enhancements:
  • Links to notes: don't display current note's title in the dropdown
  • Links to notes: display 'Delete Note Link' only when the caret is on note link

Fixes:
  • Tag sidebar: mouse wheel scrolling not working
  • Slow search and tab switching on notebooks having 1000+ tags
  • Links to notes: failure to focus target note link
  • Links to notes: message dialogs were not modal
  • Simplenote sync: impossible to search while downloading notes
  • Editor: format toggle not always working
  • Editor: Alt+BkSp not working
  • Editor: wrong text selected after paste + undo
  • Possible crash on mouse wheel in search box
  • Possible SQLite Error 14: unable to open database file

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_0_2_Beta1_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_0_2_Beta1.zip
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0.2 Beta 1

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:42 am

• Links to notes: don't display current note's title in the dropdown - Confirmed FIXED :)
  • Links to notes: display 'Delete Note Link' only when the caret is on note link - OK, but didn't we have a discussion on whether the caret should be moved to current position, when right-clicking?
  • Editor: Alt+BkSp not working - Confirmed FIXED :)
  • Editor: wrong text selected after paste + undo - Confirmed FIXED :)

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Ctrl+arrow left/right broken?

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:51 am

Inside the search box i can not use Ctrl+arrow left/right broken? Is this broken or am i wrong?
Thomas Lohrum

Search failure

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:54 am

Options: search everywhere + search inside words

The note title is "Searchengine" and the link field is "google".

Now i search for [engine google].

No entry will be found :(

When i search for either of the two search words, e.g. [engine] or [google], the relevant entry will be found.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:57 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:[*]Links to notes: display 'Delete Note Link' only when the caret is on note link - OK, but didn't we have a discussion on whether the caret should be moved to current position, when right-clicking?

It moves if you right-click on a note link.

Thomas wrote:Inside the search box i can not use Ctrl+arrow left/right broken? Is this broken or am i wrong?

It's by design: Ctrl+Left/Right are now used to navigate tabs.

Thomas wrote:Now i search for [engine google].
No entry will be found

Hmm, but this is an old problem, is it not? We didn't touch search at all - so this is not a regression. It is on the roadmap already: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/211 ... rch-field/
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:54 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:[*]Links to notes: display 'Delete Note Link' only when the caret is on note link - OK, but didn't we have a discussion on whether the caret should be moved to current position, when right-clicking?
It moves if you right-click on a note link.

Understood, but wouldn't it be more convenient to always set the caret beneath the context-menu? Also there is a minor bug with the current implementation. After you press ESC to close the context-menu, the caret is not visible (in the Link). You must press a cursor key to make it visible.

Thomas wrote:Inside the search box i can not use Ctrl+arrow left/right broken? Is this broken or am i wrong?
It's by design: Ctrl+Left/Right are now used to navigate tabs.

I like Ctrl+Left/Right to move from word to word inside the search-box! It's a standard Windows key. Isn't it possible to use Alt+Left/Right instead?

Thomas wrote:Now i search for [engine google].
No entry will be found
Hmm, but this is an old problem, is it not? We didn't touch search at all - so this is not a regression. It is on the roadmap already: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/211 ... rch-field/

The problem is with the Link-field, not the Tag-field!

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:25 am

Thomas wrote:Understood, but wouldn't it be more convenient to always set the caret beneath the context-menu?

Why this would be more convenient, for what exactly? What use case is still missing for you?

Thomas wrote:Also there is a minor bug with the current implementation. After you press ESC to close the context-menu, the caret is not visible (in the Link). You must press a cursor key to make it visible.

Thanks, we'll fix it in 2.0.2!

Thomas wrote:I like Ctrl+Left/Right to move from word to word inside the search-box! It's a standard Windows key. Isn't it possible to use Alt+Left/Right instead?

It's difficult to press Alt+Left/Right with one hand. Also now there's a nice uniformness in the tab-related shortcuts: they all use Ctrl: Ctrl+Left/Right, Ctrl+0-9, Ctrl+`.
But probably you're right about Ctrl+Left/Right, and also there have been some problems with Ctrl+`.
Maybe it would really be better to go with Alt.
BTW sometimes Ctrl+PgUp/PgDown are used for navigating tabs. But CN already uses these keys for navigating the notes list without affecting selection.

Thomas wrote:The problem is with the Link-field, not the Tag-field!

It's essentially the same problem.
It's the difference between:
SELECT * FROM Notes WHERE text MATCH "engine google" OR link MATCH "engine google"
and
SELECT * FROM Notes WHERE (text MATCH "engine" OR link MATCH "engine") AND (text MATCH "google" OR link MATCH "google").

It is obvious that the second query will be much slower than the first.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:53 am

Thomas wrote:I like Ctrl+Left/Right to move from word to word inside the search-box! It's a standard Windows key. Isn't it possible to use Alt+Left/Right instead?
It's difficult to press Alt+Left/Right with one hand. Also now there's a nice uniformness in the tab-related shortcuts: they all use Ctrl: Ctrl+Left/Right, Ctrl+0-9, Ctrl+`. But probably you're right about Ctrl+Left/Right, and also there have been some problems with Ctrl+`. Maybe it would really be better to go with Alt. BTW sometimes Ctrl+PgUp/PgDown are used for navigating tabs. But CN already uses these keys for navigating the notes list without affecting selection.

Seems like CN is reaching a certain limit in regards to key assignment. To me Alt+0-9 is not an alternative. I already use these keys for my desktop-manager to select a screen. Is it really important to have them all use a Ctrl+key-combination? What about the following suggestion:
Alt+Left/Right for TAB switching
Alt+PgDn/PgUp for TAB switching
Ctrl+0-9 to select a TAB

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:57 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Seems like CN is reaching a certain limit in regards to key assignment. To me Alt+0-9 is not an alternative. I already use these keys for my desktop-manager to select a screen. Is it really important to have them all use a Ctrl+key-combination? What about the following suggestion:
Alt+Left/Right for TAB switching
Ctrl+0-9 to select a TAB

For me personally these keys would be inconvenient.
But there's another alternative - disabling the tab switching keys when Search box has focus.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:58 am

Thomas wrote:Understood, but wouldn't it be more convenient to always set the caret beneath the context-menu?
Why this would be more convenient, for what exactly? What use case is still missing for you?

The current behaviour is inconsistent. If it is a link the caret will be placed on the link, if i right-click. It it is anything else, the caret remains at its original position. I checked two other editors. They both use a different concept. The one leaves the caret at its position. The other will always set the caret to the current position. I like the latter, that is, always set the caret to the position, where the right click happens.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:07 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Alt+Left/Right for TAB switching
Ctrl+0-9 to select a TAB
For me personally these keys would be inconvenient. But there's another alternative - disabling the tab switching keys when Search box has focus.

That would affect useability a lot, e.g. i type a search-word and realize i need to switch to a different TAB. What if TABs would always use a Ctrl+Alt-combination?
Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right for TAB switching
Ctrl+Alt+PgDn/PgUp for TAB switching

As for Ctrl+0-9 to select a TAB i suggest to keep them, because i already use Ctrl+Alt+0-9 for my desktop manager.

The main desire is not about uniqueness of the TAB keys, but useability :)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:23 am

Thomas wrote:The main desire is not about uniqueness of the TAB keys, but useability :)

Well I don't know about your keyboard, but pressing Ctrl+Alt+Right on mine with only one hand requires quite a bit of pianist training ;)
I think we should have a vote on this.
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:27 am

Hi - may I join in?
Thomas Lohrum wrote:To me Alt+0-9 is not an alternative.
As for Ctrl+0-9 to select a TAB i suggest to keep them, because i already use Ctrl+Alt+0-9 for my desktop manager.
To me many of CNs shortcuts are no good choices because I already use them differently.
(I use the freeware HotkeyP and make extensive use of global shortcuts - so there will be most likely a conflict.
E.g. I use ALT+LEFT/RIGHT and CTRL-ALT+LEFT/RIGHT already for different things.)

I think we should try to find a consistent default configuration
and vote/wait for: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/3800-fully-configurable-keyboard-shortcuts/
to support our individual convenience.
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:But there's another alternative - disabling the tab switching keys when Search box has focus.
I would be OK with this solution (but don't know about others ;) )
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:33 am

Thomas wrote:The main desire is not about uniqueness of the TAB keys, but useability :)
Well I don't know about your keyboard, but pressing Ctrl+Alt+Right on mine with only one hand requires quite a bit of pianist training ;) I think we should have a vote on this.

I tried to make a suggestion, that would 1. allow to go with Windows standards and 2. avoid conflicts within CintaNotes. It's not always possible to achieve 3. a one-hander-key. ;)
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:35 am

ChrisCN wrote:I think we should try to find a consistent default configuration and vote/wait for: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/3800-fully-configurable-keyboard-shortcuts/to support our individual convenience.

I really like a consistent default configuration :) Still i have voted for the feature now. As CN matures, the desire to adjust (some) keys has grown.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:38 am

Thomas wrote:I tried to make a suggestion, that would 1. allow to go with Windows standards and 2. avoid conflicts within CintaNotes. It's not always possible to achieve 3. a one-hander-key. ;)

I agree, but we should also consider usage frequency. My estimate is that if someone uses tabs at all, he would use tab switching much more often than word-wise navigation of the search query. This is just a hunch and I can be wrong - hence I suggested a vote.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:50 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:This is just a hunch and I can be wrong - hence I suggested a vote.

Ok, please set up a vote! Thank you.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:04 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:This is just a hunch and I can be wrong - hence I suggested a vote.

Done: http://www.cintanotes.com/forum/viewtop ... f=3&t=1502
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:

Done: http://www.cintanotes.com/forum/viewtop ... f=3&t=1502

Alex, i suggest to use Alt+PgDn/PgUp. I noticed that this key is not used in IE, nor is it used in FF. It's not used in CN either. Alt+Left/Right are used for navigating back/fordward in both browsers. Could you please add the key Alt+PgDn/PgUp to the poll, so it can be voted directly? Thank you.

Thomas

PS: Once again, disabling the feature in the search-box would be a big disadvantage.

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”