Updating internal link caption

Thomas Lohrum

Updating internal link caption

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 am

For example in Note 2 you create a link to Note 1 "This other note". Now you edit the title of Note 1 to "This changed title". Inside Note 2 the link target will still work. The caption will not be updated though. This is by design, which is good. However, there is no way to update it, other than changing it yourself. When you press Ctrl+Alt+L the correct title will be shown, but when you press ENTER nothing happens. Imo this is a bug. I think the title should be updated, when i confirm with ENTER. If i don't want to update i can still cancel the selection by pressing ESC.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Updating internal link caption

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Well it is arguable whether it is a bug or not :)
In the perfect world, CN would remember that the link caption wasn't edited by hand, and would keep it in sync with the target's title.
However this means too much bookkeeping and is simply not practical to do.
I think always updating the caption when you accept a suggestion would be a good compromise in this case - what do you think?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:46 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:In the perfect world, CN would remember that the link caption wasn't edited by hand, and would keep it in sync with the target's title.

Yes, in a perfect world. I did not ask for this though. :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I think always updating the caption when you accept a suggestion would be a good compromise in this case - what do you think?

Seems like we have to distinguish two cases. The first is when the title of the referenced note changed and you press Ctrl+Alt+L on the link of the referencing note. In this case your suggestion suits the need. I would welcome that change. However i've just done a test with a second test case. I modified the referencing link caption while the title of the referenced note remained unchanged. I pressed Ctrl+Alt+L and ENTER, which created a new note, rather than confirming the link. Was there a bug introduced? I thought with previous versions this confirmed the link, while keeping the individual caption.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:33 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Seems like we have to distinguish two cases. The first is when the title of the referenced note changed and you press Ctrl+Alt+L on the link of the referencing note. In this case your suggestion suits the need. I would welcome that change. However i've just done a test with a second test case. I modified the referencing link caption while the title of the referenced note remained unchanged. I pressed Ctrl+Alt+L and ENTER, which created a new note, rather than confirming the link. Was there a bug introduced? I thought with previous versions this confirmed the link, while keeping the individual caption.

No, the behavior hasn't changed. It is the following: when you press Ctrl+Alt+L, all notes' titles are searched, and those which begin with the caption are listed. Since you edited the caption, no other note had the matching title, so only the "Create New Note" option remained.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:40 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:No, the behavior hasn't changed. It is the following: when you press Ctrl+Alt+L, all notes' titles are searched, and those which begin with the caption are listed. Since you edited the caption, no other note had the matching title, so only the "Create New Note" option remained.

Fine. Will you implement the other change (fix) then?

Thanks.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:25 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Fine. Will you implement the other change (fix) then?

You mean always updating link caption on Ctrl+Alt+L + Enter? Yes, probably even in 2.1 final.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:21 pm

I am still unhappy with the current implementation. I have just edited two notes, which reference each other. After creating the links i edited the title of each. Next i wanted to update the link caption. I pressed Ctrl+Alt+L, which gave me the option to create a new note. I understand, when pressing the shortcut it searches for matching titles, but this is meaningless when you click it on an existing link. The dropdown should find the referenced note by its id, focus it in the dropdown-list and allow me to accept the new title/caption by pressing ENTER.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:22 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I am still unhappy with the current implementation. I have just edited two notes, which reference each other. After creating the links i edited the title of each. Next i wanted to update the link caption. I pressed Ctrl+Alt+L, which gave me the option to create a new note. I understand, when pressing the shortcut it searches for matching titles, but this is meaningless when you click it on an existing link. The dropdown should find the referenced note by its id, focus it in the dropdown-list and allow me to accept the new title/caption by pressing ENTER.

Thomas

That's actually quite easy to fix. We'll include this in 2.1.1
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:12 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:That's actually quite easy to fix. We'll include this in 2.1.1

Wonderful. Thanks. :)

Thomas

Return to “Bug Reports”